BetMGM is the online sports betting and gambling arm of MGM Resorts International. Although best known for its luxury casinos and hotels around the world, MGM Resorts is now carving out a name in the digital space as a full-service provider of mobile sports betting, casino games and poker in regulated US markets.
Resorts first entered online gambling with the launch of PlayMGM Casino and Poker in 2017 for New Jersey residents. The company would later rebrand its digital operations under the BetMGM banner to better reflect its growing presence in mobile sports betting. In New Jersey, BetMGM operates off sports betting and gambling licenses held by Borgata AC.
BetMGM Sportsbook launched mobile betting in New Jersey the following year to become one of the state’s first full-service providers of all things online gambling: sports betting, casino and poker.
Today, BetMGM offers mobile sports betting and online casino games in:
Mobile Sports Betting
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
2018, MGM Resorts International applied for licenses to offer online poker, slots and table games in PA. The outcome of that petition remains unclear at this point, but it is clear BetMGM has an eye on expanding its operations.
- Types of Gambling Offered: Sports betting, casino games and poker
- Established: 2017
- Holds Mobile Betting Licenses in: New Jersey, Indiana, Iowa, West Virginia, Nevada, Colorado, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Michigan
- Deposit Methods: Credit card, debit card, ACH, Play+, PayPal, online bill pay, PayNearMe, Skrill and cash at Borgata AC
- Payout Methods: Play+, PayPal, ACH, Skrill, check by mail and cash at Borgata AC
With the variety of gaming options here in mind, we have organized our BetMGM review into sections for each form of sports betting or gambling. We will begin with a look at BetMGM sportsbook and follow with reviews of the online casino and poker operations.
BetMGM Bonus and Promotions
BetMGM offers welcome bonuses for new customers to each of its online gaming products: sports betting, casino and poker. We will discuss the sports betting promotions here and then dig into the casino and poker bonuses later in this review (scroll down for the casino and poker reviews).
New Customer Sports Bonus: Up to $500 Risk Free First Bet
Your first wager at BetMGM is essentially risk free. If you sign up for an account, place a wager with your own money and it loses, BetMGM will refund it up with up to $500 in free bets.
This basically gives you a second chance to get it right with a few conditions:
- Your first wager must be placed on any sports market with -200 odds or greater to qualify
- Your free bets are not included in any winnings
- Free bets cannot be redeemed for cash
- Free bets must be used within 7 days of being credited to your account
- Free bet must be rolled over 2x prior to withdrawal
In addition to the new customer bonus, BetMGM hosts frequent promotions for new and existing users alike. The promotional offers tend to change by the season and generally you can find a handful of offers on any given day.
The following examples may not be up to date by the time you read this review, but consider these as a general sort of introduction to how BetMGM manages promotions.
- Money Monday Club: Opt in to the Money Club and receive a $10 free bet when you place $50 worth of qualifying wagers over the course of the week.
- Bet $10 on the NBA; Get $10: Place a $10 pre-game wager on any NBA game all season long and get an additional $10 free bet.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Overtime Insurance: During the last NFL season, BetMGM would refund your pre-game NFL wager with up to $25 in free bets if the game went into overtime and you still lost.
- Daily Price Boosts: BetMGM boosts the odds on select wagers every day to give you bigger payouts.
BetMGM Sports Betting Review
Back when BetMGM was known as PlayMGM and had just recently entered the sports betting business, it did not strike us as a particularly exciting product. It looked like a standard mobile sportsbook indistinguishable from all the rest moving in on the opportunity.
It turns out BetMGM was just biding its time in the new market. The BetMGM of today is rich in features, sports covered and types of wagers offered. Between live streaming sports and the ability to edit your wagers after the game starts, BetMGM is unique compared to most operators today.
- Live Streaming Video: BetMGM was one of the first US-legal sportsbooks to deliver live streaming video of sports events. This began with tennis, allowing customers to watch live tennis matches online or through the mobile app.
- Early Cashout: Early cashout makes it possible to close your bet early to either lock in a win when your team is winning or to abandon ship when things are going poorly. Early cashouts come at a premium, though. You will either be paid less for closing a winning bet early or lose a chance at watching your team mount a comeback when you close a losing bet early. Payouts are clearly displayed ahead of time so you’ll know exactly how much you will win or lose before you confirm your early cashout.
- Edit My Bet: This feature allows you to make changes to your bet while the game is in progress. You can increase your stake if things are going well, add selections to your parlay or even remove selections from your parlay.
- Parlay Builder: Customers can find the Parlay Builder tool integrated into the BetMGM betting interface. With this tool, users can make custom same-game parlays from scratch and choose from among hundreds of selections for each leg. The tool walks users through it step-by-step, making it easy to construct an almost limitless variety of parlays with custom odds.
Of course, nothing comes for free. BetMGM lines tend to be a bit less attractive than those found at other sportsbooks. Below are three examples comparing BetMGM to two other licensed mobile sportsbooks.
|Games||BetMGM Odds||DraftKings Odds||FanDuel Odds|
If you calculate the actual differences in vigorish, the difference in commission taken from bettors really isn’t that much in these examples. Even so, it’s not a good look for BetMGM to be so handily beaten by other sportsbooks on three NFL games we selected at random.
Sports Covered and Types of Wagers Offered
BetMGM is comprehensive in sports coverage and types of wagers offered. Sport and league coverage is comparable to the other major operators, which means BetMGM takes wagers on US and international sports alike.
Individual games are frequently covered with more than 100 betting markets covering every aspect of the game. A recent NFL game, for example, took wagers on everything from the point spread to which team would be the first to use a coach’s challenge. Other options include alternate lines, alternate totals, player props and team props.
|NFL||College Football||NBA||College Basketball|
|MLS||International Soccer||World Cup||Golf|
|Aussie Rules||Boxing||Cricket||Formula 1|
Sports Betting Interface
The BetMGM Sportsbook interface throws a lot of information at you from the get-go with an upcoming games schedule adorning the top of the screen, lists of sports leagues along the side, live games featured prominently in the center of the screen and even more upcoming games listed below those.
It is a lot to take in, but we experienced zero difficulty in navigating the various screens and menus to find specific sports and games. Selecting any wager adds it to the betting slip where bet amounts can be adjusted and potential payouts viewed prior to confirming.
Adding multiple bets to the slip allows the user to place each wager individually or wrap them up into parlays and round robins. Everything for the most part is intuitive – no instruction manual needed.
BetMGM Mobile App
Smartphone users can visit BetMGM.com to bet online with no download necessary or to find links for the official mobile app for iOS and Android devices. This makes BetMGM compatible with desktops, iPhones, Androids and tablets alike.
For this review, we tested BetMGM on an iPhone and found the app stable and easy to launch. A quick download from the App Store and registration has us browsing the lines in minutes.
The BetMGM app makes maximum use of limited screen real estate with a small navigation menu for sports displayed across the top of the screen that users can slide left and right to view the full lineup of sports offered.
Meanwhile, the middle of the screen upon logging in shows any live games that are in play right now, followed by a grid showcasing popular sports leagues and then more in-play betting markets below that.
Finding any individual game involves selecting the sport of your choice from either the top menu or selecting “search” from the top navigation menu. From there, users are shown a list of all upcoming games for the selected sport along with moneyline, point spread and totals odds.
Tapping on any matchup brings up a full listing of markets for that game. Tapping the odds listed on any screen adds that wager to the betting slip, where users can input an amount to wager and see potential payouts.
Mobile App Screenshots
BetMGM provides in-play betting for more than 100 events a day. For instance, BetMGM had 16 live events running on an unremarkable Thursday afternoon at the exact time this review was being written. Live betting is offered for a range of sports spanning all NFL games and other major American sports leagues, international soccer matches, tennis and more.
Markets offered for in-play events are numerous with just a few examples being wagers on the outcome of the game (with odds updated constantly in real time), wagers on the next point to be scored, period totals and correct score.
The in-play betting interface offers three views for most games. In one view, the emphasis is placed on showing open wagers with a small scoreboard displayed across the top of the screen. In another, users can see a virtual representation of the field that shows scoring data and ball placement. In the third, users can view match stats such as penalties and yardage.
In-Play Betting Screenshots
BetMGM Casino Review
BetMGM launched online casino games back in 2017 and has had plenty of time to grow its game selection since then to establish what is now one of the country’s most diverse online casinos.
Gaming options at BetMGM casino include:
- Online slots (389 games)
- Virtual table games (11 games)
- Live dealer games (5 games)
- Video poker (12 games)
- Virtual sports (5 games)
BetMGM Casino Bonuses and Promotions
New customers who sign up for an account at BetMGM Casino can take advantage of a $25 registration bonus and a 100% up to $1,000 first time deposit bonus.
Signing up for an account will get you $25 with no deposit necessary. After you complete your registration, BetMGM will add $25 to your account that can be used immediately to play games.
Any winnings obtained by wagering the bonus may be withdrawn after accumulating 150 iRewards Points, which are earned by participating in real money games as a part of the BetMGM loyalty program (more on that in a minute).
When you make your first deposit, BetMGM will match it 100% to add up to $1,000 to your account. The bonus and any associated winnings may be withdrawn after accumulating 6x iRewards Points. For example, a $100 bonus would require 600 iRewards Points.
BetMGM Casino rewards do not end after your new customer bonuses. Existing customers can also participate in ongoing promotions that change regularly. The following promos were available at the time this review was written but should be considered as examples only because the ongoing promos change frequently.
- Freeplay Mondays: Deposit $20 or more on any Monday and BetMGM will match it 50% for up to $100 extra.
- Fall Promotions: Over this past fall, BetMGM ran a seasonal promo in which players could opt in every Tuesday and Sunday to pick a card and reveal a prize.
- Free Spins Thursdays: During this promo, BetMGM offered 10 free spins to players who opted in and deposited at least $20 on Thursdays.
- $1,000 Weekends: Recently, BetMGM Casino hosted a leaderboard contest every Friday, Saturday and Sunday to rank players based on their volume of play at slots and table games. Winners took home anywhere from $10 to $1,000 every weekend.
BetMGM Loyalty Program
The BetMGM Loyalty Programs combines online and in-person rewards based on your volume of play in the casino and online poker room.
Playing in real money games earns iRewards Points (iRPs) that can be redeemed in the loyalty store for bonuses, electronics and accessories.
At the same time, you will accumulate Tier Credits to rank up in the M Life Rewards program for perks at MGM destinations around the world.
iRewards Points are earned at the following rates:
- Online slots: 1 iRP for every $5 wagered
- Progressive jackpot slots: 1 iRP for every $10 wagered
- Video poker: 1 iRP for every $20 wagered
- Table games: 1 iRP for every $25 wagered
- Poker: 5.5 iRPs for every $1 on tournament entry fees and cash game rake
With nearly 400 slots on offer, BetMGM holds one of the biggest slots collections in the industry. The variety includes video slots, jackpot slots and progressive machines with top payouts that continually grow until someone hits the jackpot.
A variety of third-party slots developers contribute to the lineup, delivering some very welcome variety in terms of gameplay, styling and payouts. WMS, IGT and NetEnt are just a few of the more well-known providers whose titles can be found here.
BetMGM Casino also hosts about two dozen exclusive titles that cannot be found anywhere else.
Players will also find a selection of jackpot and progressive jackpot slots with top prizes ranging from just over $1,000 to nearly $3 million at the time of this review. Mercy of the Gods, Melon Madness, Biker Pigs, Going Nuts and Divine Fortune are among the options.
BetMGM hosts a smaller collection of standard table games covering all the basics. The variety pales in comparison to the slots offering, but all the classic table games you would expect at a brick-and-mortar casino are offered here as well.
The collection includes:
- Blackjack (4 variations)
- Texas Hold ‘Em Bonus Poker
- European Roulette
- American Roulette
- Destiny Poker
- Ultimate Texas Hold ‘Em
- Casino Hold ‘Em
Live Dealer Games
For the unaware, live dealer games use streaming video and real human dealers to provide users with an authentic casino experience from the comfort of home or on the go. Players place wagers from their mobile devices or computers and then watch as a real dealer on screen takes over from there on an actual casino table straight from the live dealer studio.
BetMGM hosts numerous live dealer tables based on demand for each of the following game types:
- Casino Hold ‘Em
- Unlimited Blackjack
BetMGM Casino offers a small collection of video poker games from Spin Games and IGT. The graphics on some of these games are extremely dated, but they all support a rapid rate of play and provide high payout rates.
The five virtual sports games offered at BetMGM Online offer an experience that is part sports betting, part casino gambling. Each game begins by having each player place a wager before hosting a simulated match or race and showing the results.
The best way to explain virtual sports is they are an action junkie’s game. It’s just like sports betting except the outcomes are random and each round lasts just a minute or two. There is no waiting around all to see how your wagers perform, there is no off-season, there are no weather delays and wagers are paid instantly.
Of course, the downside is skill and knowledge play no role in virtual sports betting. Each game includes favorites and underdogs along with odds that reflect each side’s odds of winning, but there is no real way to gain an information advantage or beat the system over the long term. This is pure gambling.
Virtual Sports Screenshots
BetMGM Poker Review
BetMGM Poker operates as one arm of a trio of sister poker sites that all operate on the same network. Borgata Poker and partypoker account for the other two sites on the network and together, all three sites share a single player pool in order to boost liquidity and keep traffic at a sustainable level.
Traffic at BetMGM poker tends to congregate around the NL Holdem cash games and tournaments, but players will find sit-n-go tournaments and tables hosting other poker variants such as Omaha during peak hours.
During the process of writing this review, BetMGM Poker traffic peaked at just short of 200 players online at the same time. This is still a far cry from the glory days of unregulated online poker prior to the passage of the UIGEA in 2006, but it is comparable to the type of traffic you would find at a large brick-and-mortar poker room.
Overall, BetMGM Poker displays more strengths than weaknesses. It houses one of the best poker bonuses in the regulated market, supports a decent level of player traffic and is a reliable poker site for NL Holdem cash games and tournaments. Weaknesses include a lack of action at fixed limit tables, few sit-n-go tournaments and spotty coverage of non-Holdem game types.
BetMGM Poker Bonus
BetMGM Poker offers a three-part welcome bonus to all new customers:
- $10 registration bonus (no deposit needed)
- $15 online tournament cash (no deposit needed)
- 100% up to $1,000 first deposit bonus
The registration bonuses are delivered instantly to your account upon signing up. The $15 in online tournament dollars maybe be used to enter tournaments and win cash that may be withdrawn without restriction while the $10 cash bonus can be withdrawn after making a deposit and earning 1 iRewards Point.
if you go on to make a deposit, BetMGM will match it with an equal amount in bonus cash for up to $1,000 extra. For example, a first deposit of $100 will get you an additional $100 in bonus funds.
The deposit bonus is released in 10% increments as you earn 20 iRewards Points per dollar in bonus money. For example, a $100 bonus will be released in increments of $10 every time you earn 200 iRewards Points.
Reminder: iRewards Points are a part of the BetMGM loyalty program. In poker games, iRewards Points are earned at a rate of 5.5 points for every $1 paid in tournament entry fees or cash game rake.
BetMGM Download for Desktops
BetMGM Poker offers native download options for PC and Mac users. You can find the software by heading to BetMGM.com and clicking the “download” button on the front page. The BetMGM website will automatically deliver the appropriate software package for your system.
We tested the BetMGM client on a Mac and found the software to be of high quality. Installing it was easy and the main poker lobby loaded quickly. A quick login will bring you to the main poker lobby where you can browse games by type (cash games, “fastforward,” and tournaments).
Multiple filters can be used to find exactly the types of games you want. For example, selecting the cash games tab will bring up a list of additional sorting option by game type (NL holdem, fixed limit Holdem and pot limit Omaha) along with options to sort by stakes and number of seats.
From there, the main table listings area provides a list of games sorted by stakes or buyin. Selecting any game type from the list will then show a list of active tables to the right so you can see how many players are active at each table.
BetMGM Mobile Poker App
The BetMGM mobile poker app is available for iOS and Android devices.
iPhone and iPad users can find the app by either visiting the BetMGM website and selecting the “poker” tab from the main menu and then tapping the “download” button on the poker homepage or by opening the App Store and running a search for “BetMGM Poker.”
Android users must visit the BetMGM website to download the app manually. The Google Play store still does not support online gaming apps, so there is no option to search for the app from the Play Store. The BetMGM website will walk you through the process step by step to download and install the software on your Android device.
Those accustomed to playing poker from a desktop may look at the concept of mobile poker with some skepticism, but BetMGM and a handful of other operators have actually pulled it off in a way that still facilitates strategic play.
Playing on the mobile app is not quite as efficient as playing on a desktop of course, but BetMGM Poker makes the most of limited screen space by first providing a list of game types and stakes upon logging in.
From there, selecting a game and joining a table opens that table in landscape mode with most of the screen dedicated to showing what’s happening at the table along with large buttons and sliders that can be used to raise, call, fold, check and size your bets.
The BetMGM Poker app also supports multi-tabling. When you add a second, third or fourth table, a small preview of each will be displayed along the side of your main playing area so that when you’re focusing on one table, you’ll have an overview of what’s happening at other tables and see prompts to act when it’s your turn.
An added feature that we found quite handy is the ability to quickly fold hands in other tables by quickly swiping right and then tap it again to muck it. This allows you to fold poor starting hands at other tables without leaving your current table.
The following screenshots explain it best (note the slots for additional tables on the left side of the screen in the third image below):
No limit cash games are a strong point for BetMGM Poker. Fixed limit and non-Holdem games still suffer from sporadic traffic, but the NL Holdem games are healthy with active tables running throughout the day, even during non-peak hours.
The no-limit games tend to get the most traffic among the small and medium stakes games up to about $2.50/$5. Games also go as high as $25/$50 NL, although a lot of times the only traffic you’ll see at the highest levels is a single player waiting for action.
Cash Games Offered
- No Limit Holdem: $0.01/$0.02 NL up to $25/$50 NL
- Fixed Limit Holdem: $0.02/$0.04 up to $30/$60
- Pot Limit Omaha: $0.01/$0.02 up to $25/$50
- 6, 9 and 10-seat tables available
- Fast Fold Poker: This is a cash game format in which all players at a stake level are pooled together but play at separate tables. Every time you fold, you are instantly moved to a new table just as a new hand gets underway. Basically, this is a fast version of poker in which wait time between hands is all but eliminated. Don’t like your hand? Fold it and get dealt into a new table instantly.
BetMGM has a strong multi-table tournament scene, likely due to its connection to Borgata AC (New Jersey’s best poker room by a long shot in our opinion). BetMGM hosts multiple tournaments each day in a range of formats and stakes, including satellites to major Atlantic City tournaments such as the Borgata Fall Poker Open.
Players will also find the Daily $10K guarantee a nice option to have throughout the week. In all, more than $25,000 worth of guaranteed tournaments are held every day. Sundays host the big regularly scheduled tournament of the week: The Sunday $35K Guarantee. Additionally, BetMGM hosts daily freerolls.
Sit and go action is sparse, however. BetMGM supports SNGs at a wide range of buyins, but traffic to those games is limited at this time.
Tournament Types Offered
- Multi-table tournaments: Buyins ranging from $0 to $535
- Sit & Go tournaments: single, multi-table and step SNGs with buyins from $0 to $500
- Guaranteed, turbo, shorthanded, deepstack and bounty tournaments
- Texas Holdem, Pot Limit Omaha and PLO 8
- Satellites to real world events
BetMGM Deposit Methods
Whether you bet on sports, play casino games or try the poker games, a single player wallet will serve all your deposit and withdrawal needs. BetMGM accepts electronic funds transfers, credit cards, debit cards, cash and more:
- ACH eCheck: Input your checking account number to send money from your bank account to your BetMGM account
- Play+ Prepaid Card: The Play+ prepaid card includes an online account feature so you can make instant deposits the same day you sign up. Later, you will receive a physical card in the mail that can be used for ATM withdrawals and to make purchases in the real world.
- PayPal: BetMGM accepts PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus deposits using your existing PayPal account. If you don’t already have an account, you can sign up for one at PayPal.com. PayPal is the largest e-wallet in the world and is convenient for deposits and withdrawals alike.
- Visa and Mastercard: Credit and debit cards branded with the Visa or Mastercard logo may be used to fund your BetMGM account online instantly.
- Online Bill Pay: This option uses your bank’s online bill pay feature to send money instantly. You simply authorize a transfer to BetMGM and your bank will handle the rest.
- PayNearMe: This is a cash-based deposit method in which you will receive an electronic pay slip that you can take to your nearest 7-Elevent to deposit with cash.
- Cash at Borgata: You can visit Borgata Casino in Atlantic City to make an in-person deposit with cash.
- Skrill: Skrill is another e-wallet that works much like PayPal. With a Skrill account, you can make deposits and withdrawals without sharing your banking information with BetMGM.
If you win money or decide to cash out what you have left, you may withdraw funds from your BetMGM account through the following methods:
- ACH eCheck
- Check by Mail
- Cash at Borgata