BetMGM is the online sports betting and gambling arm of MGM Resorts International. Formerly best known for its international line of luxury casinos and hotels, MGM Resorts is now well-established in the legal US sports betting and online gambling markets via BetMGM.com and its accompanying mobile apps.
MGM Resorts International entered the regulated online gaming market in partnership with Entain plc., an international operator of gambling websites and online sportsbooks.
Together, the pair bring a wealth of experience and capability to the US market. While MGM Resorts provides brand name recognition and market access, Entain provides technology and years’ worth of hands-on experience in online gaming.
The remainder of our BetMGM review will focus on the company’s mobile sports betting operations. To read more about BetMGM Casino and Poker, please see our BetMGM Casino review.
- Established: 2017
- Licensed and operational in: CO, IA, IN, MI, NJ, NV, PA, TN, VA, WV
- Welcome bonus: Risk-free first bet worth up to $600
- Bonus code: USGBONUS
- Deposit methods: (options vary by state) ACH/e-check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Play+ prepaid card, PayNearMe, PayPal, online banking bill pay, cash at the casino, Skrill
- Withdrawal methods: (options vary by state) Play+, PayPal, ACH/e-check, Skrill, cash at the casino, check by mail
BetMGM Bonus and Promotions
BetMGM Sportsbook offers a welcome bonus for new customers plus ongoing promotions for regular bettors. The BetMGM experience begins with a risk-free first bet and continues with frequent odds boosts, enhanced parlay payouts, and other promos tailored to whichever sports are in-season at the time.
New Customers Sports Bonus: Up to $600 Risk-Free First Bet
The BetMGM bonus for new customers essentially makes your first bet risk-free. If you sign up for an account, use the promo code USGBONUS, place a wager with your own money, and it loses, BetMGM will refund it with up to $600 in free bets.
The offer gives you a second chance to get it right with a few conditions:
- You must make a first deposit of $10 or more to qualify
- Only your first bet qualifies
- Free bet refunds must be used within seven days of receipt
- Free bets cannot be redeemed for cash
- If your first bet wins, you will not receive a free bet refund
Other Ongoing Promos
In addition to the new customer bonus, BetMGM runs frequent promotions for new and existing users alike. The promotional offers tend to change by the season, but customers can usually find a handful of specials on any given day.
The following examples serve as a rough guide to BetMGM’s approach to promotions, but keep in mind that offers change often.
- Money Monday Club: Opt into the Money Club and receive a $10 free bet every Monday when you place $50 worth of qualifying wagers the previous week
- Bet $10 on the NBA, Get $10: Place a $10 pre-game wager on any NBA game all season long and get an additional $10 free bet
- Buffalo Wild Wings Overtime Insurance: If you place a pre-game NFL wager and get a refund of up to $25 in free bets if the game goes into overtime and you lose
- Daily Price Boosts: BetMGM boosts the odds on select markets each day to offer bigger payouts for winning wagers
- March Matchups: During the latest March Madness college basketball tournament, BetMGM issued two 10% parlay payout boost tokens to all customers each day of the tournament
- Buzzer Beater Insurance: During this promo, BetMGM refunded your losing college basketball bets if they lost due to a shot made during the final five seconds of the game
BetMGM and Buffalo Wild Wings Promos
BetMGM and Buffalo Wild Wings have a longstanding partnership to offer exclusive promotions to guests. If you visit a participating Buffalo Wild Wings location and login to the BetMGM app, you’ll get to take advantage of custom promotions and bet types for as long as you’re physically present at that location.
Participating Buffalo Wild Wings sports bars also show the OT Odds Powered by BetMGM channel, featuring live sporting odds and daily fantasy and sports betting strategy discussion.
BetMGM Sports Betting Review
BetMGM entered the sports betting market as a standard sportsbook and largely indistinguishable from all the others. However, BetMGM has added numerous features over time to make it one of the more feature-rich operators today.
Live streaming sports feeds and the ability to edit your bet after the game has started are just two examples of capabilities BetMGM Sportsbook has added since launch.
Live Streaming Video
BetMGM was one of the first US sportsbooks to acquire the rights to live streaming video of sports events. It began with BetMGM streaming live tennis matches through the BetMGM website and mobile app, and it now includes select European soccer leagues and other sports.
The live streaming interface also supports in-play betting, letting customers bet and watch at the same time. BetMGM live streaming is free to all users who have a funded account.
Bettors can find the live streaming feeds by logging in to the BetMGM website or mobile app and visiting the “Live” tab. Look for the live stream/play icon next to event listings to see which offer live video feeds.
Edit My Bet
The “edit my bet” feature allows bettors to change their bets while the game is in progress. Edit options include increasing your stake if things are going well, adding selections, swapping selections, or removing selections from a parlay.
Edit my bet is available for outstanding wagers that have the cash out feature. When bettors make an edit, BetMGM cashes out the existing bet at current prices and places a new bet reflecting the changes.
Early Cash Out
Early cash out makes it possible to close your bet early to either lock in a win when your team is winning or to abandon ship when things are going poorly. Early cash outs come at a premium, though.
You will either be paid less for closing a winning bet early or lose a chance at watching your team mount a comeback when you close a losing bet early. Payouts are displayed ahead of time, so you’ll know exactly how much you will win or lose before you confirm your early cash out.
Customers can find the Parlay Builder tool integrated into the BetMGM betting interface. With this tool, users can make custom same-game parlays from scratch and choose from hundreds of selections for each leg.
Parlay Builder walks users through it step-by-step, making it easy to construct an almost limitless variety of parlays with custom odds.
BetMGM guests can also use the integrated parlay generator to build parlays that meet certain pricing and payout preferences. For example, you can tell the generator you want to build an NBA parlay that pays at least $500 on a $5 stake, and it will return a parlay suggestion that you can take or leave at your discretion.
BetMGM Odds Review
BetMGM is comparable to other mainstream sportsbooks in terms of the odds offered. When we compare BetMGM Sportsbook to other operators such as DraftKings, William Hill, and FanDuel Sportsbook, we find it fairly even across the board.
Sometimes BetMGM has the best odds of every major operator, and sometimes the competition offers the best odds. It varies from one event to the next, but BetMGM is competitive overall.
Below is a comparison of the odds offered by BetMGM, DraftKings Sportsbook, and FanDuel for three random NBA games:
|Game||BetMGM Odds||DraftKings Odds||FanDuel Odds|
Sports Covered and Types of Wagers Offered
BetMGM Sportsbook is comprehensive in sports coverage and the types of wagers offered. Sports league coverage is comparable to that of other major operators, which means BetMGM takes bets on professional sports in the US and abroad, plus college games.
Individual games often feature 100+ betting markets covering every aspect of the competition, with the options including standard moneylines, spreads, and totals plus team props, player props, and more. For example, the betting options for a regular-season NFL game cover everything from the point spread to which team will be the first to use a coach’s challenge.
Other options include alternate lines and totals, player statistics totals, team stat totals, race to X points or goals, half and quarter-time winners, the winning margin, and single-game parlays.
Sports Covered (varies by season):
- Aussie rules football
- Basketball (college and pro)
- Beach volleyball
- Bull riding
- Football (college and pro)
- Mixed martial arts
- Motor racing
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
- Table tennis
Sports Betting Interface
The BetMGM Sportsbook interface throws a lot of information at users, but it’s manageable.
Upon logging in, BetMGM presents a listing of sports along the top and left side of the screen, scrolling carousels of popular betting markets and promotions under the top nav menu, live games featured prominently in the center of the screen, and even more upcoming games below those.
It’s a lot to take in, but we had no trouble navigating the various menus to find specific sports and games. Selecting any wager adds it to the betting slip, where users can adjust bet sizes and build custom parlays.
Adding multiple wagers to the slip allows users to place each bet individually or wrap them into parlays and round robins. For the most part, everything is intuitive – no instruction manual needed.
BetMGM Mobile App
Smartphone users can visit BetMGM.com to bet online with no download necessary or to find download links for the official mobile app for iOS and Android devices. The BetMGM app is compatible with iPhones, Android devices, and tablets.
For this review, we downloaded the BetMGM iPhone app and found the experience satisfactory. A quick download from the App Store and registration had us browsing the lines in minutes.
The BetMGM app makes maximum use of limited screen real estate with a small navigation menu for sports displayed across the top of the screen that users can swipe left and right to view the entire lineup.
Meanwhile, the large central portion of the screen focuses on the day’s popular games and live events. Any games that are in progress and open for in-play betting will appear there, along with other games users are interested in.
In summary, the app homepage serves as a jumping-off point. You’ll see the latest spread, total, and moneyline odds for key games on the homepage. You can tap any game to visit that event’s dedicated page for a complete listing of betting markets, in-play options, and live streaming if available.
Users who have a particular game in mind can usually find it listed prominently on the homepage. For other games, you can use the nav menu at the top of the screen or tap the “A-Z” button at the bottom of the screen to view every league that’s in-season at the moment.
The BetMGM app also provides a handy search tool in the top nav menu (swipe left to find it on the far-right side of the menu) to search for games by sport, team, league, and player.
We see the occasional complaint from users who dislike the app, but their objections are usually general in nature – our experience is that the app works fine and is full of features. It’s possible to feel a sense of information overload at times, but we have had no issues with freezing, lag, or other errors. There are definitely less-polished apps out there.
Mobile App Screenshots
In-Play Betting Review
In-play betting is a strong point for BetMGM. The BetMGM mobile app and website cover 100+ events per day on average, and the betting markets are often extensive.
For example, BetMGM had 16 live events running when this review was being written on an unremarkable Thursday afternoon. BetMGM provides live betting for US, international, and college sports.
The BetMGM live betting calendar is busy throughout the year, with particular attention paid to the big US sports. We have also checked in with BetMGM during March Madness and found live betting markets offered for every single game throughout the tournament.
BetMGM divides the in-play betting interface into halves, with the top half of the screen dedicated to providing live stats and game info, and the bottom half reserved for betting odds. The arrangement allows bettors to view the latest happenings while placing their wagers.
Bettors can select one of four live viewing options to occupy the top half of the screen when betting on games in-play:
- Scoreboard view: Shows the current score, time remaining in the current period/quarter (or outs remaining in the inning for baseball games), points scored per period/quarter/inning, and an expandable play-calling toggle
- Animation view: Displays an image of the court or field with animated actions showing where the action is and what’s happening – such as passing plays in an NFL game, three-pointers in a basketball game, serves in a tennis match, or catcher’s view in a baseball game showing the location of every pitch – basically serves as a substitute for live streaming video
- Stats view: Extensive collection of stats starting with the current score up top plus many other stats such as free throw percentage, passing completions, penalties, team wins/losses, historical heads-up stats, and more – varies by sport
- Live video view: Live streaming broadcast of the game – only available for select games currently
In-Play Betting Screenshots
BetMGM Deposit Methods
BetMGM deposit methods vary by state, but generally, customers will find their options cover all the major means of moving money from Point A to Point B.
- ACH eCheck: Input your checking account and routing numbers to move money from your bank to your BetMGM account
- Play+ Prepaid Card: Play+ is part online wallet, part prepaid debit card. You can make instant online deposits the day you sign up, but you will also receive a prepaid debit card in the mail connected to your Play+ account for ATM withdrawals and in-person purchases.
- PayPal: BetMGM accepts PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus deposits using your existing account. If you don’t already have an account, you can visit PayPal.com to sign up. PayPal is safe, fast, and works equally well for deposits and withdrawals.
- Credit and Debit Cards: BetMGM accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express, but availability varies by state.
- Online Bill Pay: This option uses your bank’s online bill pay feature to fund your BetMGM account instantly. You simply authorize a transfer to BetMGM using your existing online banking credentials, and your bank will handle the rest.
- PayNearMe: This is a cash-based deposit method in which you receive an electronic payslip that you can take to your nearest 7-Eleven to deposit with cash.
- Cash at the Casino: In some states, customers can visit a nearby BetMGM-affiliated casino to make cash deposits and receive cash withdrawals.
- Skrill: Skrill is an e-wallet that works much like PayPal. With a Skrill account, you can make deposits and withdrawals without sharing your private banking information with BetMGM.
BetMGM provides 24/7 customer support, but finding contact information is difficult. If you visit the “contact us” page, BetMGM will force you to go through a self-help tour before offering a 24/7 live chat option or e-mail assistance.