TwinSpires operates as the official online and mobile wagering arm of Churchill Downs Incorporated, operator of the one and only Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville Kentucky. Churchill Downs itself is best known as the host of the Kentucky Derby, a tradition it has maintained since 1875.
With so much history backing the TwinSpires name (which derives its name from the famous pair of spires that adorn the grandstand at Churchill Downs), there’s not much that needs to be said regarding reputation and legitimacy. The people behind Churchill Downs have been involved in racing for a very long time.
Of course, reputation is just one aspect of many that should be considered when choosing a racing betting site. Today’s TwinSpires review will discuss the good and bad when it comes to actually placing bets, getting paid and using the wagering platform.
- Types of Gambling Offered: Horse racing betting
- Established: 2006
- Deposit and withdrawal methods: EZmoney, Visa, MasterCard, Check, Money Order, Bank Wire. PayPal, PayNearMe, MoneyGram and Green Dot
TwinSpires Bonuses and Promotions
TwinSpires lays it on pretty thick with the promotions between a $200 new customer bonus and frequent recurring promos for existing bettors that take all manner of shapes and sizes.
Welcome Bonus: Up to $200
TwinSpires offers a welcome bonus worth up to $200 for all new customers who sign up for an account with the promo code BET200.
The amount of bonus money given to new customers is based on their wagering activity after signing up:
- Bet $400 or more within 30 days of signing up: Get a $100 bonus
- Bet $800 or more within 30 days of signing up: Get a $200 bonus
We can report there are no problematic terms or conditions associated with this bonus. Once the bonus funds have been issued, the money is yours to keep with no additional wagering requirements or other strings attached.
A visit to the “offers” tab is all it takes to see TwinSpires is big on promos. In terms of sheer numbers, TwinSpires is the most active racing betting site we know of.
The exact lineup of promotions is always changing, but we offer just a few examples below that represent the general gist of what you’ll find as a customer.
- Breeders’ Cup Bankroll Challenge: This was a unique promo offered during the last Breeders’ Cup. Resident TwinSpires handicappers Ed and Scott started each day of the Breeders’ Cup with a $2,500 bankroll that they could use to place any wagers that day as they tried to maximize their winnings. Any customers who bet at least $20 on every Breeders’ Cup race on Day 1 and/or Day 2 were given an equal portion of Ed and Scott’s finishing bankroll on that same day.
- $50 Early Bird Bet Club: In this promo, customers could opt in to play the early races at Santa Anita on Fridays and Saturdays to earn a $5 bonus for every $100 wagered (on races 1-4).
- Photo Finish Winsurance: This promotion offered to refund customers (up to $10) who placed a win bet on any single horse at Santa Anita if their chosen horse finished second after a photo decision.
- Churchill Downs Bet of the Day: During the latest Churchill fall meet, TwinSpires offered customers up to 30% refunds on losing wagers for the wager of the day.
Note that these are just a few examples chosen at random. TwinSpires usually has upwards of a dozen promos running at any given time, and you can see what’s on offer any time by logging in and visiting the “offers” tab.
TSC Elite Loyalty Program
All TwinSpires customers are automatically enrolled into the TSC Elite loyalty program. The rewards program is based on points earned for placing wagers, and points can be redeemed for TwinSpires wagering credits and Brisnet handicapping tools.
Points are earned as follows:
- 4 points for every $1 wagered at Churchill Downs Inc. tracks
- 1 point for every $1 wagered at other tracks
Customers who wager $25,000 or more per year also qualify for a four-tier VIP program that unlocks additional rewards as follows:
- Bronze ($25,000 in annual wagers): Free admission to participating tracks and OTBs, 20% discount on Brisnet products, increased rate of earning TSC Elite points
- Silver ($50,000 in annual wagers): All Bronze benefits plus one free program daily, even faster TSC Elite points accumulation and Silver perks at select TSC Elite locations
- Gold ($100,000 in annual wagers): All Silver benefits plus VIP access to Gold rooms and other special areas, invitation to VIP events, increased TSC Elite points accumulation and Gold perks at TSC Elite locations
- Platinum ($250,000+ in annual wagers): All Gold benefits plus concierge VIP service at the Kentucky Derby, “other privileges” exclusive to Platinum members, even faster TSC Elite points accumulation and Platinum-level perks at TSC Elite locations
TwinSpires is willing to pay you $50 for every friend you refer who then goes on to sign up for an account, make a minimum initial deposit of at least $50 within 30 days and then wager at least $500 within the first 60 days.
The qualification standards seem a bit steep in our view, so we do not anticipate the refer-a-friend program being a major attraction for the majority of customers.
Twinspires Horse Racing Betting Review
TwinSpires has served as the official advance deposit wagering (ADW) service of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby since launching in 2006. With the backing of the venerable Churchill Downs name, TwinSpires.com was able to establish itself as one of the largest racing betting operators in the country relatively quickly.
Today, TwinSpires offers online and mobile wagering on races held around the world. At last count, the TwinSpires track list included more than 330 tracks spanning the US, Sweden, Australia, UK, South Africa and more.
No matter the track, TwinSpires offers the same wagers online as in-person visitors would find at the track. Wagers placed through TwinSpires.com are pooled with wagers taken at each track to give online customers access to the actual parimutuel pools and support the local racing industry.
Available bet types provided by TwinSpires include the usual win, place, and show bets along with the standard exotics, daily doubles, pick 3s and so on.
The minimum age to bet with TwinSpires is 18 in most states with the exception being Washington State residents, who must be 21 or older.
TwinSpires.com integrates numerous features into the betting platform for desktop and mobile users alike. Customers can browse daily horse racing news items and expert-level handicapping pieces, take advantage of free past performances and access the Handicapping Store for handicapping software and tools among other things.
Live Video Streaming at TwinSpires
TwinSpires offers two types of video for all customers. First are standard live racing streams that can be accessed from any desktop or mobile device from within the main wagering area on any racecard. If you visit an upcoming race, you can activate live streaming with the video button in the upper navigation menu.
There is also TwinSpires TV, which offers a more in-depth experience as a standalone streaming video service. TwinSpires claims to have the best video quality of any online racebook, and our experience so far indicates that is not an exaggeration. TwinSpires TV features live horse races along with an integrated wagering pad, race replay library, morning line odds, current live odds and more.
While standard racing streams are available for all devices, TwinSpires TV only works with desktop computers.
TwinSpires Greyhound Racing Betting
TwinSpires offers greyhound racing to an extent, but it is clearly not a major piece of the business. The desktop website at TwinSpires.com does not even list greyhound racing as an option, but customers can access greyhounds through the mobile website and native iOS/Android apps.
Customers can also call the TwinSpires phone wagering hotline to place greyhound wagers.
TwinSpires Mobile Betting App
There are a couple of ways to bet with TwinSpires from just about any mobile device. Customers who do not wish to download anything can simply point their mobile browsers to m.twinspires.com for a mobile-friendly version of the website or download the native app for iOS and Android devices.
The native mobile app is easily the better option as both the iPhone and Android apps are designed specifically for those devices. The TwinSpires app launches quickly and takes customers straight to the main wagering area where a listing of upcoming races is prominently displayed along with menu items to browse other tracks, make deposits, manage your account and view the latest offers.
All the same features offered to users through the desktop website are also offered through the mobile app. This includes live racing video, pools information, advanced types of wagers and handicapping info.
TwinSpires offers an extensive FAQ/help section that can answer most questions quickly along with multiple methods for contacting a live operator. However, one shortcoming is live support can only be reached from 9 AM to 12 AM EST.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone #: 1-877-774-7371
- Live chat at TwinSpires.com
TwinSpires Deposits and Withdrawals
TwinSpires accepts a handful of deposit methods that cover all the major types of transactions such as credit and debit cards, cash deposits and online banking.
|EZmoney||ACH deposit via checking, savings or money market account||Free|
|EZbank||Electronic banking option using your bank’s online bill pay feature||Free|
|Credit Card / Debit Card||Visa and Mastercard accepted||$5|
|PayPal||The most popular e-wallet in the world, use ACH to fund money via PayPal without revealing your banking info to TwinSpires||$5|
|MoneyGram||Cash-based deposit method with locations across the country||$3.95 or higher fee charged by the merchant (varies)|
|PayNearMe||Cash-based option that allows customers to deposit with cash at a nearby 7-Eleven, CVS or and other locations||$3.99 or higher fee charged by the merchant (varies)|
|Wire Transfer||Bank-to-bank wire transfer||Free if over $1,000; $10 otherwise|
|In-Person Deposit||Deposit in person at tracks/OTBs in AR, KY, IL, LA and OH||Free|
There are not as many withdrawal options, but the methods TwinSpires does accept should work for most customers. Withdrawals can be initiated by logging in, selecting the “My Account” menu item, selecting “My Funds” and then selecting “Withdraw.”
|EZmoney||Electronic transfer straight to your bank account|
|PayPal||Winnings credited to your PayPal account|
|Check by Mail||TwinSpires will mail a check with your winnings to your registered home address|
|In-Person Cash Withdrawal||Offered at Churchill Downs, Keeneland, The Red Mile, Arlington Park and its OTBs, Fair Grounds Racecourse and its OTBs, Scioto Downs and Emerald Downs|
Accepted and Restricted States
TwinSpires accepts customers 18 or older (21+ in Washington) and who are residents of one of the following states.
|New York||North Dakota||Ohio|
|Rhode Island||South Dakota||Tennessee|