Oklahoma has a diverse range of legal gambling options. It all began in 1982 with horse racing. Ten years later, charitable gaming was approved by voters. In 2004, ballot initiatives that authorized tribal casinos and a state lottery passed.
Legal online gambling in Oklahoma is limited to horse racing betting via websites and mobile apps that are open to customers 18 or older. Daily fantasy sports sites are tolerated but not expressly legal and the same goes for games of skill played for money online.
Overview of Legal OK Gambling Options:
- Horse racing betting: Trackside, off-track betting parlors (OTBs) and online
- Lottery: Scratch-off and lotto sales at retailers
- Slots, video poker and table games: Only on tribal land
- Bingo and raffles: Only at registered charities
- Poker: At tribal casinos
- Daily fantasy sports: Not regulated, but major DFS sites accept Oklahomans
Online Gambling in Oklahoma
Mobile racing betting is the only form of online gambling that is expressly legal in Oklahoma. Major horse racing sites headquartered in the United States accept Oklahoma customers and offer wagering on horse races held around the country.
The best legal racing betting sites in Oklahoma include:
Daily fantasy sports sites also operate in Oklahoma, although it is debatable if we can fairly call such sites “gambling” considering the sizable skill element involved in daily fantasy. Wherever you stand on that whole debate, the big fantasy sites are all active in Oklahoma:
- Monkey Knife Fight
Online Gambling Law
Oklahoma gambling laws do not specifically mention online gambling, but there are good reasons to believe it is illegal to participate in unauthorized gambling.
21 OK Stat § 21-942 outlines a broad prohibition on participating in gambling:
“Any person who bets or plays at any of said prohibited games, or who shall bet or play at any games whatsoever, for money, property, checks, credits or other representatives of value with cards, dice or any other device which may be adapted to or used in playing any game of chance or in which chance is a material element, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00), nor more than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of not less than one (1) day, nor more than thirty (30) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment.”
Although there is no specific mention of online gambling, it would not be a stretch to apply that law to an individual caught visiting an offshore sportsbook or poker site. Law enforcement seems to have other priorities, but speaking from a strictly legal sense, Oklahoma law is not friendly to unlicensed online gambling.
Land-based casinos in Oklahoma are located on tribal territory and are operated by 31 different tribes. There are more than 130 casinos in operation across the state ranging in size from small slot parlors to full-service destination resorts.
Currently, compacts between the state and each gaming tribe permit casinos to offer:
- Electronic bingo games
- Electronic amusement games
- Electronic instant bingo games
- Non-house-banked card games
According to the OK Gaming Compliance Unit, 34 of the state’s 38 federally-recognized tribes have gaming compacts with the state to operate Class III gaming. The Oklahoma casino industry is in great health today with more than 72,000 slots and resort casinos housing more than 5,000 rooms across the state.
The National Indian Gaming Commission lists 142 total facilities in its most up to date list of Oklahoma casinos:
- 7 Clans Casino Chilocco: 12901 N Hwy 77, Newkirk, OK 74647
- 7 Clans Casino First Council: 12875 N Hwy 77, Newkirk, OK 74647
- 7 Clans Casino Paradise: 7500 Hwy 177, Red Rock, OK 74651
- 7 Clans Casino Perry: 511 Kaw St, Perry, OK 73077
- 7 Clans Casino Red Rock: 8401 Hwy 177, Red Rock, OK 74651
- 7th Street Casino: 777 N 7th Street Trafficway, Kansas City, KS 66101
- Ada Gaming Center: 1500 N Country Club Rd, Ada, OK 74820
- Apache Casino Hotel: 2315 E Gore Blvd, Lawton, OK 73501
- Artesian Hotel Casino: 1001 W 1st St, Sulphur, OK 73086
- Black Gold Casino: 288 Mulberry Ln, Wilson, OK 73463
- Black Hawk Casino: 42008 Westech Rd, Shawnee, OK 74804
- Border Casino: 22953 Brown Springs Rd, Thackerville, OK 73459
- Bordertown Casino & Arena: 129 W Oneida, Wyandotte, OK 74370
- Buffalo Run Casino & Resort: 1000 Buffalo Run Blvd, Miami, OK 74354
- Casino Oklahoma: 220 E Cummins Rd, Hinton, OK 73047
- Catoosa Smoke Shop: 777 West Cherokee Street Catoosa, OK 74015
- Cherokee Casino Fort Gibson: 107 N Georgetown Rd., Ft. Gibson, OK 74434
- Cherokee Casino Grove: 24979 US Highway 59, Grove, OK 74344
- Cherokee Casino Ramona: 31501 US Highway 75, Ramona, OK 74061
- Cherokee Casino Roland: 109 Cherokee Blvd, Roland, OK 74954
- Cherokee Casino Sallisaw: 1621 W Ruth St, Sallisaw, OK 74955
- Cherokee Casino South Coffeyville: 1506 US-169 South, Coffeyville, OK 74072
- Cherokee Casino Tahlequah: 3307 Seven Clans Ave, Tahlequah, OK 74464
- Cherokee Casino West Siloam Springs: 2416 US-412, West Siloam Springs, OK 74338
- Chickasaw Travel Stop Ada East: 1500 N Country Club Rd, Ada, OK 74820
- Chickasaw Travel Stop Ada West: 201 Latta Rd, Ada, OK 74820
- Chickasaw Travel Stop Davis West: 33967 N County Rd, Davis, OK 73030
- Chickasaw Travel Stop Kingston: 1795 US Hwy 70, Kingston, OK 73439
- Chickasaw Travel Stop Paoli: 1-35 Exit 79 & Hwy 145, Paoli, OK 73074
- Chickasaw Travel Stop Thackerville: 22983 Brown Springs Rd, Thackerville, OK 73459
- Chisolm Trail Casino: 7807 N Hwy 81, Duncan, OK 73533
- Choctaw Casino Broken Bow: 1790 S Park Dr, Broken Bow, OK 74728
- Choctaw Casino Idabel: 1425 SE Washington St, Idabel, OK 74745
- Choctaw Casino McAlester: 1638 S George Nigh Expwy, McAlester, OK 74501
- Choctaw Casino Resort Durant: 4216 S Hwy 69/75, Durant, OK 74701
- Choctaw Casino Resort Grant: 1516 US-271, Grant, OK 74738
- Choctaw Casino Resort Pocola: 3400 Choctaw Rd, Pocola, OK 74902
- Choctaw Casino Stringtown: 893 N US-69, Stringtown, OK 74569
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Antlers: 1319 W Main St, Antlers, OK 74523
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Atoka: 1302 S Mississippi, Atoka, OK 74525
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Broken Bow: 1800 S Park Dr, Broken Bow, OK 74728
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Durant East: 4015 Choctaw Rd, Durant, OK 74701
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Durant West: 4305 Choctaw Rd, Calera, OK 74730
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Grant: US 271 S & E, 2120 Rd, Grant, OK 74738
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Heavener: 505 N Hwy 59, Heavener, OK 74937
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Hugo: 1908 W Jackson St, Hugo, OK 74743
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Idabel: 3449 E Washington St, Idabel, OK 74745
- Choctaw Travel Plaza McAlester: 1640 S George Nigh Expwy, McAlester, OK 74501
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Pocola: 3402 Service Rd, Pocola, OK 74902
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Poteau: 4105 N Broadway, Poteau, OK 74953
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Stigler: 1801 E Main, Stigler, OK 74462
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Stringtown: 897 N Hwy 69, Stringtown, OK 74525
- Choctaw Travel Plaza Wilburton: 902 W Main St, Wilburton, OK 74578
- Cimarron Bend Casino: 201 E Main St, Coyle, OK 73027
- Cimarron Casino: 821 W Freeman, Perkins, OK 74059
- Comanche Nation Casino: 402 SE Interstate Dr, Lawton, OK 73501
- Comanche Nation Travel Plaza: Hwy 277 and Hwy 36, Devol, OK 73531
- Comanche Red River Hotel Casino: 196747 Highway 36, Devol, OK 73531
- Comanche Spur Casino: 9047 US Hwy 62, Elgin, OK 73538
- Comanche Star Casino: 263171 Hwy 53, Walters, OK 73572
- Creek Nation Casino Bristow: 121 W Lincoln, Bristow, OK 74010
- Creek Nation Checotah: 831 N Broadway Ave, Checotah, OK 74426
- Creek Nation Eufaula: 807 Forrest Ave, Eufaula, OK 74432
- Creek Nation Holdenville: 211 E Willow, Holdenville, OK 74848
- Creek Nation Muscogee: 3420 W Peak Blvd, Muskogee, OK 74403
- Creek Nation Travel Plaza Okmulgee: Hwy 75 & 56 Loop, Okmulgee, OK 74447
- Creek Nation Travel Plaza: 1018 S Wood Dr, Muskogee, OK 74401
- Downstream Casino Resort: 69300 E Nee Rd, Quapaw, OK 74363
- Duck Creek Casino: 10071 Ferguson Rd, Beggs, OK 74421
- Firelake Casino: 41207 Hardesty Rd, Shawnee, OK 74801
- Gold Mountain Casino: 1410 Sam Noble Pkwy, Ardmore, OK 73401
- Gold River Casino: 31064 S Hwy 281, Anadarko, OK 73005
- Golden Eagle Casino: 115 W Evans Ave Apache, OK 73006
- Golden Pony Casino: 109095 Okemah St, Okemah, OK 74859
- Goldsby Gaming Center: 1038 W Sycamore Rd, Norman, OK 73072
- Grand Casino Hotel Resort: 777 Grand Casino Blvd, Shawnee, OK 74804
- Grand Lake Casino: 24701 S 655 Rd, Grove, OK 74344
- Hard Rock Tulsa: 777 West Cherokee Street, Catoosa, OK 74015
- High Winds Casino: 61475 E 100 Rd, Miami, OK 74354
- Indigo Sky Casino: 70220 E Hwy 60, Wyandotte, OK 74370
- Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma Bingo: 335588 E 750 Rd, Perkins, OK 74059
- Ioway Casino: 338445 E Hwy 66, Chandler, OK 748349
- Ioway Travel Plaza: 750841 S Hwy 177, Tryon, OK 74875
- Jet Stream Casino: 2001 W Airline Rd, Pauls Valley, OK 73075
- Kanza Casino (Kanza Travel Plaza): Exit 231 on I-35, Braman, OK 74632
- Kickapoo Casino Harrah: 35230 E Hwy 62, Harrah, OK 73045
- Kickapoo Casino Shawnee: 38900 W MacArthur Dr, Shawnee, OK 74804
- Kickapoo Travel Plaza Casino: 25200 E Hwy 62, Harrah, OK 73045
- Kiowa Casino Carnegie: 514 OK-9, Carnegie, OK 73015
- Kiowa Casino Red River: 198131 Hwy 36, Devol, OK 73531
- Kiowa Casino Verden: 33165 County Street 2740, Verden, OK 73092
- Lucky Star Casino Canton: 301 NW Lake Road Canton, OK 73724
- Lucky Star Casino Clinton: 10347 N 2274 Rd, Clinton, OK 73601
- Lucky Star Casino Concho: 7777 N Highway 81 Concho, OK 73022
- Lucky Star Casino Watonga: 1407 Clarence Nash Blvd, Watonga, OK 73772
- Lucky Star Travel Center Concho: 7751 N Hwy 81, El Reno, OK 73036
- Lucky Star Travel Center Hammon: 20413 Hwy 33, Hammon, OK 73650
- Lucky Turtle Casino: 64499 E Hwy 60, Wyandotte, OK 74370
- Madill Gaming Center: 902 1st St, Madill, OK 73446
- Native Lights Casino: 12375 N Hwy 77, Newkirk, OK 74647
- Newcastle Casino: 2457 Hwy 62 Service Road, Newcastle, OK 73065
- Newcastle Travel Gaming: 235 NW 24th St, Newcastle, OK 73065
- Okemah Casino: 1101 Woody Guthrie, Okemah, OK 74859
- One Fire Casino: 1901 Wood Dr, Okmulgee, OK 74447
- Osage Casino Bartlesville: 222 Allen Rd, Bartlesville, OK 74003
- Osage Casino Hominy: 39 Deer Ave, Hominy, OK 74035
- Osage Casino Hotel Ponca City: 64464 US Hwy 60, Ponca City, OK 74604
- Osage Casino Pawhuska: 2017 E 15th St, Pawhuska, OK 74056
- Osage Casino Sand Springs: 301 Blackjack Dr, Sand Springs, OK 74063
- Osage Casino Skiatook: 5591 W Rogers Blvd, Skiatook, OK 74070
- Osage Casino Tulsa: 951 W 36th St N, Tulsa, OK 74127
- Outpost Casino: 69107 E 100 Rd, Wyandotte, OK 74370
- Pawnee Nation Trading Post Casino: 291 Agency Rd, Pawnee, OK 74058
- Prairie Moon Casino: 202 S Eight Tribes Trl, Miami, OK, 74354
- Prairie Sun Casino: 3411 P Street NW, Miami, OK 74354
- Quapaw Casino: 58100 E 64 Rd, Miami, OK 74354
- River Bend Casino and Hotel: 100 Jackpot Place, Wyandotte, OK 74370
- River Spirit Casino: 8330 Riverside Pkwy, Tulsa, OK 74137
- Rivermist Casino: 14313 Old Hwy 99, Konawa, OK 74849
- Riverstar Casino: 11801 E 2160 Rd, Terral, OK 73569
- Riverwind Casino: 1544 State Hwy 9, Norman, OK 73072
- Roland Travel Plaza: 109 Cherokee Blvd, Roland, OK 74954
- Sac and Fox Nation Casino: 356120 E 926 Rd, Stroud, OK 74079
- SaltCreek Casino: 1600 Hwy 81, Pocasset, OK 73079
- Seminole Nation Casino: 600 Lexington St, Seminole, OK 74868
- Seminole Nation Trading Post Casino: 36625 US-270, Wewoka, OK 74884
- Southwind Casino Braman: Exit 231 on I-35, Braman, OK, 74632
- SouthWind Casino: 5640 N La Cann Rd, Newkirk, OK 74647
- Stone Wolf Casino: 54251 S 349 Rd, Pawnee, OK 74058
- Sugar Creek Casino: 5304 N Broadway Ave, Hinton, OK 73047
- TeePee Casino & Smoke Shop: 28314 E 6th St, Yale, OK 74085
- Texoma Casino: 1795 Hwy 70, East Kingston, OK 73439
- The Stables Casino: 530 H Street E, Miami, OK 74354
- Thunderbird Casino Norman: 15700 E State Hwy 9 Norman, OK 73026
- Thunderbird Casino Shawnee: 2051 S Gordon Cooper Dr, Shawnee, OK 74801
- Tishomingo Tobacco & Gaming: 1200 W Main St, Tishomingo, OK 73460
- Tonkawa Gasino: 10700 Allen Dr, Tonkawa, OK 74653
- Tonkawa Hotel & Casino: 16601 W South Ave, Tonkawa, OK 74653
- Treasure Valley Casino: 12252 Ruppe Road, Davis, OK 73030
- Washita Casino: 30639 Hwy 145, Paoli, OK 73074
- Will Rogers Downs: 20900 S 4200 Road, Claremore, OK 74019
- WinStar World Casino and Resort: 777 Casino Ave, Thackerville, OK 73459
Tribal Casino Law
Tribal gaming came to Oklahoma in the early 90s in the form of Class II games (bingo, bingo machines and non-house-banked card games such as poker). Oklahoma casinos at the time were small operations compared to what they would become over the next two decades.
For instance, WinStar World Casino opened in 1991 as a bingo hall off Interstate 35. Eventually and with the help of expanded gaming, the humble bingo hall would grow to become what is now the self-proclaimed “World’s Biggest Casino” with nearly 400,000 square feet of gaming space, 8,500 slot machines, 100 table games and a 55-table poker room.
Prior to 2004, tribal casinos could only offer Class II games under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) because Oklahoma did not offer other forms of gaming elsewhere. That changed in 2004 when voters approved State Question 712, which authorized the state to enter gaming compacts with tribal groups for Class III gaming.
Slots, video poker, table games and live poker are now permitted at Oklahoma casinos. Table games require an ante and an outside banker. The ante for card games is $0.50. Craps requires a $1 ante with every come out roll. Roulette has a $1 ante for each spin. Oklahoma casinos may not bank bets at its table games.
The original gaming compacts did not permit table games without cards. That changed in 2018 with the passage of SB 3375 authorizing dice and roulette games. Previously, these games were played electronically or with cards.
Tribal casinos pay ten percent in gross gaming revenue to the state on table games. For slots and video poker, casinos pay four percent on the first $10 million in gross gaming revenue, five percent on the next $10 million and six percent on all slot revenues beyond that.
More recently, the state has pushed for tribal casinos to contribute a greater share of their profits to the state. In 2019, Governor Kevin Stitt proposed raising those fees to as high as 25% to put Oklahoma more in line with the rates paid by tribes in some other states.
The tribes disagree of course and have noted that the maximum rate in their compact (10%) puts them among the 92% of other gaming compacts across the nation that have a rate in that general range or less.
Federal law requires tribes to have compacts in place with the state in order to offer Class III gaming, so both sides will eventually have to come to some sort of agreement if Oklahoma is to keep its very large casino industry in place.
Sports Betting in Oklahoma
Sports betting is prohibited in Oklahoma. Lawmakers have expressed some interest in changing that, but so far have been unable to drum the support needed to make a serious push at legalization.
The same bill that expanded tribal gaming to include craps and roulette also included language to authorize sports betting at one point, but that provision was removed prior to the passage of the bill.
Had it passed with sports betting language intact, SB 3375 would have allowed the state to renegotiate gaming compacts with the tribes to include sports betting. The bill did not offer details regarding where sports wagering would take place or if mobile betting would be permitted.
Any discussion of sports betting will have to include the tribes due to the wide-ranging gaming compacts that are in place. Tribal gaming has contributed more than $1.5 billion to the state since 2004 and now contributes well over $100 million per year to the state in return for having guaranteed exclusivity over certain forms of gaming.
With that much money at stake, the tribes will certainly play a role, one way or another, in how the sports betting issue plays out in Oklahoma.
Poker in Oklahoma
Live poker is only permitted at casinos on reservations. There are 14 poker rooms in the state. These range from small poker rooms with just a few tables to one of the largest in the country. Cash games and tournaments are legal. Any game with rules on file may be dealt.
All Oklahoma casinos spread Texas Hold’em. Some spread versions of Omaha and mixed games.
Oklahoma Poker Rooms
|WinStar World Poker Room
55 tables, $1M+ poker tournaments, limit and no-limit cash games
777 Casino Ave
|Grand Casino Poker Room
19 tables, daily tournaments, limit and no-limit cash games
777 Grand Casino Blvd
|Choctaw Durant Poker Room
26 tables, daily tournaments, limit and no-limit cash games
4216 S Hwy 69/75
|Choctaw Grant Poker Room
5 tables, weekly tournaments and no-limit cash games
|Choctaw Pocola Poker Room
5 tables, daily tournaments, no-limit cash games
3400 Choctaw Rd
|River Spirit Casino Poker Room
15 tables, daily tournaments, no-limit and fixed limit games for Holdem, Stud, Omaha and Omaha hi/lo
8330 Riverside Pkwy
|Riverwind Poker Room
17 tables, daily tournaments, no-limit and fixed limit cash games for Holdem and Omaha
1544 State Hwy 9
|Hard Rock Tulsa Poker Room
14 tables, daily tournaments, limit and no-limit cash games for Holdem, Omaha, Omaha hi/lo and 7 Card Stud
777 West Cherokee Street
|Downstream Casino Poker Room
14 tables, weekly tournaments, limit and no-limit cash games for Holdem, Omaha, 7 Card Stud and mixed games
69300 E Nee Rd
|Indigo Sky Poker Room
8 tables, daily tournaments (closed Mon/Tues), limit and no-limit cash games for Holdem, Omaha, Crazy Pineapple and more
70220 E Hwy 60
|Cherokee West Siloam Springs Poker Room
8 tables, daily tournaments, no-limit Holdem and pot-limit Omaha cash games
|Apache Casino Poker Room
3 tables, weekly tournaments, no-limit and fixed limit Holdem cash games, pot-limit Omaha
2315 E Gore Blvd
|Comanche Red River Poker Room
3 tables, weekly tournaments, no-limit Holdem cash games
196747 Highway 36
|Fire Lake Casino Poker Room
2 tables, occasional tournaments and Texas Holdem cash games
41207 Hardesty Rd
Home Poker Games and the Law
Home Poker games are not legal in Oklahoma. This is true regardless of whether the house takes a rake or not. The state does not have a social gaming exclusion.
Oklahoma gambling law makes it clear that participating in a game or hosting a game in which luck plays a role and money is exchanged constitutes illegal gambling.
Fantasy Sports in Oklahoma
Oklahoma law does not address daily fantasy sports (DFS) one way or another and no attorney general has issued an opinion on the legality of such games. Major DFS sites such as FanDuel and DraftKings operate openly in Oklahoma under the assumption their contests are considered games of skill.
To date, law enforcement has not moved to put an end to daily fantasy sports.
Oklahoma seems to have little appetite to formally legalize fantasy sports, partly due to opposition from local tribal groups.
The last serious effort to regulate DFS in Oklahoma came in 2016 with the introduction of HB 2278. That bill sought to create the Oklahoma Fantasy Contests Act, establish basic regulations for the industry and require operators to register with the Department of Consumer Credit.
Tribal groups successfully shot down the effort out on the basis that legalizing fantasy sports would be akin to authorizing a new form of gambling without consulting the tribes. Chief Standing Bear of the Osage Nation put it this way in a press release announcing the successful defeat of the effort:
“Fantasy sports are online internet contests such as fantasy football leagues. Substantial money is played during these games and the proposed legislation of the State of Oklahoma would bring money to Oklahoma State Government and exclude the tribes.”
Since then, there have been no serious attempts to authorize or regulate fantasy sports in Oklahoma.
The Oklahoma Lottery was established through legislative action in 2003 and a pair of ballot measures (State Questions 705 and 706) asking voters to approve the lottery and an accompanying education trust fund.
Voters overwhelmingly approved both measures to establish a state lottery. The OK Lottery sold its first tickets in 2005. For the fiscal year ending June 2006, the lottery sold nearly $205 million worth of tickets and transferred more than $65 million to the education trust fund.
Today, the lottery offers the following games:
Intrastate Lotto Games
- Pick 3
- Cash 5
- Instant win scratch cards
Interstate Lotto Drawings
- Mega Millions
- Lotto America
- Lucky for Life
OK Lottery Law
Under OK law, lottery tickets may only be purchased in-person at authorized retailers. Customers must 18 or older to play and all purchases must be made with cash. Revenue generated by the lottery is appropriated as follows:
- 45% to K-12 public education efforts
- 45% to tuition grants, loans and scholarships for OK citizens to attend in-state universities
- 5% to the Teachers’ Retirement System Dedicated Revenue Revolving Fund
- 5% to the School Consolidation and Assistance Fund
Oklahoma Horse Racing Betting
Parimutuel horse racing betting is legal in Oklahoma and three tracks are in operation today. In addition to trackside betting, residents may bet on horse races held elsewhere via simulcasting and mobile betting apps.
Active Racetracks in Oklahoma
Thoroughbred racing August-December, quarter horse racing March-June, year-round simulcast wagering
1 Remington Place
|Will Rogers Downs
Thoroughbred racing March-May, quarter horse racing September-November, year-round simulcast wagering
20900 S 4200 Rd
|Fair Meadows at Expo Square
Live racing June-July, year-round simulcast wagering six days a week (closed Tuesdays)
4609 East 21st St
Off-Track Betting is also offered at the following locations:
- Thunder Roadhouse: 900 W Memorial Rd, Oklahoma City, OK 73114
- Riverwind Casino: 1544 W Hwy 9, Norman, OK 73072
- Newcastle Casino: 2457 Hwy 62 Service Road, Newcastle, OK 73065
- Southwind Casino: 9625 US-177, Braman, OK 74632
- WinStar Casino: 777 Casino Ave, Thackerville, OK 73459
- Choctaw Casino Durant: 4216 S Hwy 69/75, Durant, OK 74701
- Choctaw Casino Pocola: 3400 Choctaw Rd, Pocola, OK 74092
Racing Betting Laws
The Oklahoma horse racing industry was established through State Question 553 in 1982, which was approved by 58% of the voting public.
Horse racing and parimutuel wagering are overseen today by the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission.
Legislation regarding the conduct of horse racing and parimutuel wagering can be found at:
- Parimutuel wagering: 3A OK Stat § 3A-205.6
- Off-track wagering: 3A OK Stat § 3A-205.6a
- Wagering on out-of-state races: 3A OK Stat § 3A-205.7
- Parimutuel wagering on televised races: 3A OK Stat § 3A-205.7a
- Authorization of National Breeders’ Cup Pick 7 Wagers: 3A OK Stat § 3A-205.8
Games of Skill
Oklahoma clearly defines what it considers gambling by the types of games and devices that are illegal. The element of chance is only addressed in charitable gaming exceptions.
As noted under state code 21-941:
Except as provided in the Oklahoma Charity Games Act, every person who
opens, or causes to be opened, or who conducts, whether for hire or
not, or carries on either poker, roulette, craps or any banking or
percentage, or any gambling game played with dice, cards or any
device, for money, checks, credits, or any representatives of value,
or who either as owner or employee, whether for hire or not, deals for
those engaged in any such game, shall be guilty of a felony, and upon
conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than Five
Hundred Dollars ($500.00), nor more than Two Thousand Dollars
($2,000.00), and by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for a term
of not less than one (1) year nor more than ten (10) years.
Oklahoma defines a bet as:
“A bargain in which the parties agree that, dependent upon chance, or in which one of the parties to the transaction has valid reason to believe that it is dependent upon chance, one stands to win or lose something of value specified in the agreement.”
This likely gives Oklahomans wide leeway for making skill-based wagers. Participants in athletic contests and other types of skill tournaments are free to enter with cash to win prizes, especially among other participants. Games of knowledge and professional competitions would also likely work under the law.
Esports betting is not specifically addressed in the Oklahoma gambling laws. One could fairly safely assume that betting between players would be legal. Spectators making wagers on these events would be in violation of state gaming laws.
Traditional Online Skill Games
Online skill game sites such as WorldWinner are active in Oklahoma. Pure skill gaming sites manage to avoid falling afoul of the law by removing the element of chance from their paid competitions.
Skill-based Gaming Machines
Skill-based gaming machines were first installed in Oklahoma casinos in 2017. The first property with the games was Choctaw Casino & Resort. These games may be offered by any Oklahoma casino.
Oklahoma Gaming Laws
Oklahoma permits a wide range of gambling to licensed entities. Charities may hold bingo games and raffles. Horseracing is legal live and for off-track betting. There is a state lottery. Tribes in the state may spread a full range of gambling, including slots, video poker, live poker and table games.
The minimum gambling age in Oklahoma is 18 for most activities. This includes visiting casinos and placing wagers. Some casinos that serve alcohol may limit entry to customers 21 or older while others may admit customers 18+ but issue wristbands to prevent them from ordering drinks.
The following agencies regulate gaming in Oklahoma:
- Oklahoma Lottery
- Oklahoma Indian Gaming Association
- Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission
- Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission (charitable gaming)
The Oklahoma Charity Games Act allows recognized charities to operate bingo, raffles and pull-tabs contests. Charities must be licensed. This requires a $100 fee. Charities must be at least two years old and registered with the IRS and Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission. Charitable gaming players must be at least 18 years of age.